Keep your home secure as the darker nights draw in.
Winter official began on Sunday 27 October when the clocks went back an hour, so now is the perfect time to check your house is not vulnerable to opportunist thieves.
Members can find information regarding home security on the Essex Police website - http://www.essex.police.uk/be_safe/burglary.aspx
If no lights are on in your home, curtains are not drawn, and no cars on the drive, it’s an obvious sign to an opportunist burglar that no-one is in. At this time of the year more than any other it pays to secure your home.
There are a number of simple things which you could take on board, to help reduce incidents of crime.
• Purchase a 24 hour segment timer for under £5. The timer can be used with a lamp, radio or TV to give the impression that someone’s home. Remember to use an energy efficient light bulb. Set them to come on from 16:00
• Register your valuables on www.immobilise.com – This is a free service and takes just a few minutes and if your valuables are stolen, will allow you to tell the police and your insurer to assist in recovering your property and catch the thief.
• Keep valuables out of sight.
• Look your doors and windows, if you have a UPVC door make sure you have double locked it.
• Draw curtains and blinds at night
• Shut and lock your side gates
• Make your home look like someone is at home even when you go out.
For further crime reduction advice contact the Crime Prevention Tactical Adviser on 101.
If you hear or see anything suspicious please call Essex Police on 101 or 999 is you believe a crime is being committed.